General Energy Efficiency Rebates
Appliances that save energy
When shopping for efficient appliances, be aware of the difference between the federally required EnergyGuide Usage label and the ENERGY STAR label.
Federal law requires that EnergyGuide labels be placed on all new refrigerators, freezers, water heaters, dishwashers, clothes washers, central air conditioners, heat pumps, furnaces and boilers.
The ENERGY STAR label identifies appliances that operate with the highest energy efficiency. Sometimes the ENERGYSTAR logo will be on an Energy Guide Label if that appliance qualifies. See more details on our online Appliance Rebate Form.
Next to heating your home, heating your water consumes the most energy. An estimated 25% of your electric bill is used to heat water for your daily needs.
Heat pump water heaters are highly efficient. They can cut water heating energy consumption by 60% compared to standard electric water heaters. Rather than generating heat by burning fuel (electric resistance), heat pump water heaters move heat from one place to another, by heat transfer, the same technology used in heat pumps for home heating. Electric heating elements are used only when needed.
- To find out if a heat pump water heater is right for you, visit Hot Water Solutions for helpful tools and resources.
- When selecting a water heater, pay attention to Energy Factor (EF). This is a measure of its overall energy efficiency and is based on the amount of hot water produced per unit of fuel consumed over a typical day. The higher the EF, the more efficient the water heater.
- Also consider the warranty, whether the size of the tank to meet your needs, and the First Hour Rating (the amount of hot water in gallons the heater can supply per hour).
NOTE: Heat pump water heater rebates are for new construction and existing single family homes only. In existing homes, they must replace an electric storage water heater (not gas water heaters).
OPALCO offers rebates of $300 for tier 1 rated heat pump water heaters and $600 for tier 3 rated heat pump water heaters. Review the Heat Pump Water Heater Qualified Products List for units in our region that qualify for rebates.
- To apply for the OPALCO rebate, please complete and submit the 2019 Residential Heat Pump Water Heater Rebate Application, your proof of purchase (receipt) and the Manufacturer’s Installation Checklist (found in the installation manual included in your unit).
- A homeowner may install the unit themselves. By doing so, the homeowner is responsible for self-education and commits to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. There are installation videos available on the manufacturer’s websites with exact procedures to follow for successful installations. These videos are considered Manufacturer Training.
- View our Do-It-Yourself Installation Tips from The Smart Water Heat Program.
You can find everything you ever wanted to know about heat pump water heaters and promotions by visiting http://smartwaterheat.org/.
When comparing efficient clothes washers, it’s all about the energy performance metrics MEF (Modified Energy Factor) and the WF (Water Factor) for ENERGY STAR qualified products.
- IMEF, or integrated modified energy factor, is a measure of the energy used during the washing process, including machine energy, water heating energy, and dryer energy required to remove the remaining moisture content of washed clothes. The higher the IMEF, the more efficient the clothes washer.
- WF, or water factor, is the measure of the gallons of water used per cycle. The lower the water factor, the more efficient the washer is for using water.
Note: Energy Star Top-Load clothes washers must be CEE Tier 1 rated to be eligible for the rebate. For requirements and specifications on how to qualify for a rebate, please call 360.376.3587.
For more information or research, visit www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances and search for rebate programs that match your needs.
If you still have questions, please contact our Energy Savings Specialist.
Reduce the risk of Vampire Energy by using Advanced Power Strips, which shut off power to electronic devices when not in use. Advanced Power Strips can be purchased and installed without a professional technician’s help, and are effective immediately – just plug in, and start saving! Please contact for specifications on how to qualify for the rebate.